Back to map
Townland of Cloondergan
Griffith's Valuation (1855)
- Parish: Dunmore
- Barony: Dunmore
- Electoral Division: Addergoole
- Poor Law Union: Tuam
Martin Ronan held a tenancy from the Court of Chancery - 44. House, office and land (22a 1r 14p).
Usually, the Court of Chancery became the landlord when the owner died intestate or when the heir was a Ward of Court.
House No. 14
Sarah Ronane, Domestic Servant, aged 17, was listed as a Niece in the household return of Patrick Slattery.
House No. 17
Michael Ronan, Farmer, aged 35. Single. (Not in Cloondergan in 1911. A Michael Ronan was building a house in Shanballymore in 1901.
Bridget Ronan, Sister, aged 29.
Catherine Ronan, Sister, aged 28.
Bridget Ronan, Mother, aged 72. Retired Farmer.
House No. 29
Patrick Ronan, Farmer & Taylor, aged 63. Single.
Wife: Mary Ronan, aged 57 - 4 children listed:
- Martin, Farmer's Son, aged 24.
- Michael, Farmer's Son, aged 22.
- Thomas, Farmer's Son, aged 19.
- Catherine, Farmer's Daughter, aged 16.
House No. 15
Patrick Ronayne, Farmer, aged 77.
Widower, 43 years married - 1 child listed:
- Patrick, Tailor by trade, aged 42
Wife: Winiford, aged 40.
3 years married - 2 children:
- Martin, aged 1.
- Mary Ellen, aged 2 months.
House No. 33
Bridget Ronayne, aged 41, Single, was listed as a Sister in Law in the household return of James Mulkeen.*
Sarah Delia Ronayne, Scholar, aged 7, was listed as a Niece in the household return of James Mulkeen.** Migration Records #1, below, and #4 in Shanballymore
* This indicates that Catherine Mulkeen, was a Ronayne and, as James Mulkeen was born in Co. Mayo, it may have been a Ronayne farm (House no. 17 in 1901).
** Sarah Delia was the daughter of Michael Ronayne (Census 1911 House no. 17 in Shanballymore). There is a death record for Sarah Ronayne, aged 30, for the same time as Sarah Delia's birth. As the Mulkeens had no children, it is possible that they raised Sarah Delia after Michael remarried.
This is speculative. Maryann Lane provided some information on her ancestors which would appear to link Martin Ronan
in the Griffith's Valuation with house no. 29 in the 1901 Census and house no. 15 in the 1911 Census:
Martin Ronayne + Mary Mullarkey m. 1834
- Patrick Ronayne + Mary Brennan m. 1868
- Patrick b. 1869 + Winifred ?? b. 1871 m. 1908
- Martin b. 1910
- Mary Ellen b. 1911
- Michael b. 1878e
- Martin b. 1875
- Thomas b. 1881
- Mary b. 1873 d. 1923 (Maryann's Great Grandmother, emigrated to Lawrence, MA 1890's)
- Bridget b. 1871 d. 1950 (Emigrated to U.S.)
- Kate b. 1884
The text is black is what Maryann provided, the text in blue is from the 1911 Census.
Given the connection with Lawrence, MA, above, the second record below may be relevant:
Back to map
22/08/1921 Sara Delia Ronan (17), Dunmore, to cousin, John Swanick, 132 Catherine St., Elizabeth NJ. Father: Michael Ronan, Shanballymore, Dunmore, Co. Galway
31/08/1924 Mary Ronayne (41) b. 20/10/1882, Lawrence, MA, to 800 Crescent St., Astoria, L.I.