Back to map
Townland of Ballykilleen
- Parish: Annagh
- Barony: Costello
- Electoral Division: Course
- Poor Law Union: Claremorris
Griffith's Valuation (1856)
Michael Ronan, Margaret Ronan, and John Ronan (Michael) shared a tenancy from Jane Elizabeth Pugh - 10a. Land, house & office; 10b. Land and house; 10c. Land, house & office. (39a 3r 10p in total).
John Ronan held a tenancy from Jane Elizabeth Pugh - 10d. Garden (0a 1r 8p).
Margaret Ronan held a tenancy from Patrick Kenny - 10e. Garden (0a 0r 15p).
John Ronan (Thomas) held a tenancy from Jane Elizabeth Pugh - 21. Land (11a 0r 37p).
Thomas Ronan and John Ronan (Thomas) shared a tenancy from Jane Elizabeth Pugh - 22a. Land and house, 22b. Land, house & office (21a 1r 11p in total).
Note: When two tenants had the same name, the father's name was added in brackets to distinguish between them.
It looks like the Census Enumerator filled out the forms and he couldn't spell very well!
House No. 17
Thomas Roynane, Farmer, aged 65. (Inconsistent spelling on form)
Wife: Honor Ronayne (60) - 1 child listed:
- Ellen Roynane, House keeper, aged 21.
House No. 18
Mary Roynane, Land-owner, aged 57. (She signed the form as Ronan)
Widow - 3 children listed:
- Patrick, Labourer, aged 27.
- John, Labourer, aged 16.
- Michael, Labourer, aged 14.
House No. 21
Michael Roynane, Farmer, aged 45. (Inconsistent spelling on form - 4 Roynane, 7 Ronayne)
Wife: Kate Roynane (35) - 9 children listed:
- Mary A, Farmer's Daughter, aged 19. Migration Records #1, #2
- Kate, Farmer's Daughter, aged 16. Migration Record #5
- Michael, Farmer's Son, aged 14.
- Delia, Farmer's Daughter, aged 12. Migration Record #6
- Richard, Farmer's Son, aged 10.
- Patrick, Farmer's Son, aged 7.
- Margaret, Scholar, aged 5. Migration Record #10
- John, aged 3.
- Norah, aged 6 months.
House No. 23
John Royane, Farmer, aged 50. (All other entries on the form are Ronayne)
Wife: Anne Ronayne (42) - 8 children:
- Kate, Farmer's Daughter, aged 18. Migration Records #3, #4
- Thomas, Labourer, aged 16.
- Bridget, Scholar, aged 12. Migration Records #7, #8
- Annie, Scholar, aged 10. Migration Record #9
- Norah, Scholar, aged 8. Migration Record #11
- Mary, Scholar, aged 6.
- Julia, aged 3.
- John, aged 2 months.
House No. 13
Bernard McGuire, Farmer, aged 73.
- Bryan McGuire, Farmer, aged 36, Single.
- Lizzie Ronan (30)
Husband: Patrick Ronan, Farmer, aged 38.
7 years married, 4 children:
- Celia Ronan, Scholar, aged 6yrs 5mths. Migration Record #12
- Mary Ronan, Scholar, aged 4 years.
- Bernard Ronan, aged 2 years.
- Elizabeth Ronan, aged 2 months.
Patrick Ronan's age matches with Patrick Ronan, house no. 21 in the 1901 Census for Cloonfad.
House No. 16
Return is for the family of Mark Cuniff
Wife: Ellen (34), married 7 Years.
The return includes:
Thomas Ronan, Father in Law, aged 74.
Honor Ronan, Mother in Law, aged 74. Married 49 years, 8 children, 6 still living.
House No. 20
John Ronan, Farmer, aged 68.
Wife: Anne (56).
Married 35 years - 11 children, 10 still living including:
- Catherine, aged 31.
- Thomas, Farmer's Son, aged 27.
- Annie, aged 20. Migration Record #9
- Norah, aged 18. Migration Record #11
- Mary Ellen, Scholar, aged 16.
- Julia, Scholar, aged 14.
- John, Scholar, aged 11.
House No. 21
Michael Ronane, Farmer, aged 60. Now showing as born in Roscommon.
Wife: Kate (55). Now showing as born in Roscommon.
Married 33 years - 11 children, all still living including:
- Pakie, Farmer's Son, aged 19.
- Maggie, aged 17. Migration Record #10
- John, Farmer's Son, aged 16.
- Nora, Scholar, aged 10.
- Sarah, Scholar, aged 9.
U.S. Census Records
- 1910 NY Delia (21) Ronane in return of William Flannery (31, Yr. of Imm. 1900) as Sister-in-law, Yr of Imm. 1906. Also Katherine Flannery (24)
Yr. of Imm. 1904.
- 1920 NY Mary (32), Della (26), and Margaret Ronane (22)
- 1920 NY William Flannery 40, Catherine 35, Catherine 9, Joseph 6, Marguerite 4y1m, Patricia 1y10m (Bronx 501-750)
- 1930 NY William Flannery 51, Catharine 45, Joseph 16, Margaret 14, Rebecca 11, William 9 (Bronx NY)
- 1930 NY George Hauck 49, Della 35 (POB Ireland), James 4 (Bronx 501-750)
House No. 17 in 1901 and No. 16 in 1911.
Thomas Ronayne b.1835 + Honoria Duffy b.1837 m.1862
- Mary b.17/11/1866
- Bridget b.24/9/1868
- James b.5/12/1870
- Patrick b.16/12/1872
- Ellen b.21/12/1877 + Mark Cunniff b.1876 m.1904
- Julia Cunniff b.1906
- Patrick Cunniff b.1908
House No. 23 in both years.
Found a small tree on Ancestry.com for George Hauck & Bridget Ronayne (in black below) . Assuming that Bridget is Delia, daughter of Michael,
a speculative tree is as follows:
Michael Ronayne + Kate (possibly McDonough)
Delia (Bridget) b. 1889 d. 3/9/1950 + George Hauck d. Dec. 1962
- Mary A b. 1882
- Kate b. 1885 + William Flannery b. 1880
- Catherine b. 1911
- Joseph b. 1914
- Margaret b. 1916
- Patricia b. 1919
- Michael b. 1887
Richard b. 1891
Patrick b. 1894
Margaret b. 1896
John b. 1898
Norah b. 1900
- James Hauck b. 26/10/1925 d. 19/6/1966 + Erna Binder b. 1924 d. 2002
- Living Hauck + Living Herbert
- Living Herbert + Living Brown
- Living Herbert
- Living Hauck + Living Halecky
- Living Halecky
- Living Halecky
Back to map
11/04/1901 Mary A. Ronan (19), Cloonfad, didn't sail.
11/04/1901 Norah Ronan (18), Cloonfad to NY but weird scribble in contact column
25/04/1901 Mary A. Ronan (19), Cloonfad, to cousin, Mary J. Higgins, 139 East 69 St. NY
29/04/1903 Catherine Ronan (22), Cloonfat, to brother Michael, 2191 8 Avenue 118 Street, New York, DID NOT SAIL
04/05/1903 Catherine Ronan (22), Ballykillian, to brother, Michl, 2191 8 Avenue 118 Street, New York.
04/05/1903 Catherin Ronan (19) Ballykillian to Mary A Ronan c/o Delia Hogan 1985 Madison Ave Ny
02/04/1906 Delia Ronane (17), Ballykillian, to sister, Mary A. Ronane, 1521? West 86 St., NY
02/04/1906 Thomas Ronane (24), Ballykillian, to sister, Mary A. Ronane, 1521? West 86 St., NY
15/04/1906 Delia Ronane (17), Cloonfad, to sister Catherine Ronane, 220 West 141 St., NY
15/04/1906 Patrick Ronane (23), Cloonfad, to sister Catherine Ronane, 220 West 141 St., NY
10/04/1910 Delia Ronan (21), Ballykeelion, to brother Michael Ronan, 313 W 118th St., New York. In US before 5 yrs, Mother: Anne Ronan
04/05/1912 Annie Ronan (18) to aunt, Kate Delaney, 746 Hekimen? St., Brooklyn. Father: John Ronan, Ballykillin, Cloonfad
07/10/1915 Margaret Ronane (20), Cloonfad, to sister Delia, ?? 400 E. 183 St. NYC (It looks like "Katherine Flannery 2338 Webster Ave. Bronx New York" could have been overwritten). Father: Michl Ronane, Ballykillen, Cloonfad, Co. Mayo.
Pages 1 & 2
07/10/1915 Nora Ronan (19) Cloonfad, to sister, Annie Ronan, 1114 Park Place, Brooklyn. Father: John Ronan, Ballykilleen, Co. Mayo.
10/10/1921 Celia Ronen (19), Ballykilleen, to aunt, Mrs. Mary Clarke, 613 Capeland St, East End, Pittsburgh, PA. Father: Pat Ronan, Ballyhallen, Ballyhaunis. Final Destination: Salem, Mass.